Friday, July 2, 2010

Telling the boys...

After our ultrasound last week we had grand plans of telling the boys the exciting news. I put a package on the table in the afternoon. Jake asked about the package and I told him it was a surprise, but we had to wait for Daddy to get home. He asked about it a few more times and was very excited for daddy to get home so he could have his surprise...When Ryan came home Jacob greeted him with, "now we get our surprise!" and we sat down to open the present...
Jake wasn't so sure that a shirt with "just letters" (and no trucks/cars/etc) was really a present! We told him that the shirt said, "Big Brother" and he liked that. Then we showed him Hudson had the same Big Brother shirt and asked him what that meant. Jacob said excitedly, "cause I'm the big brother and he's the little brother!" We prodded some more to get him to figure it out... Finally Ryan told him that Hudson was going to be a big brother too because Mommy has a baby in her tummy. Jacob's reply, "Oh, cool..... is there another surprise??" So - not quite the reaction we were hoping for - but what are you going to do!! :) ...and luckily I had bought the boys another little gift!While they played with their other gifts Ryan and I kept telling them about the baby. Jacob knows the baby is the size of a lime and if you ask him when the baby is coming he says, "First is Daddy's birthday, then Jacob's birthday, then Copper's birthday, then Halloween, then Mommy's birthday, then Christmas and THEN the baby comes out!" He's sure it's a sister this time... "or maybe a baby brother that grows up to be a sister" (hmmmm.....). He has gotten more and more excited and thinks it's funny Hudson will be a big brother too. This morning I overheard him saying to Hudson, "You will be such a good big brother, my little cutie."

I know they will both be great big brothers to our new little one!

No comments: